Sports medicine is a branch of medicine that deals with the health and well-being of athletes. Sports medicine is a broad field engaging in the care of athletes from many levels from recreational to professional. Sports medicine deals with a myriad of issues concerning athletes that may include the care of injuries, the prevention of injuries, rehabilitation from injuries, nutrition, training, and psychology.
Orthopedic surgeons are often in the forefront of sports medicine due to their unique and extensive training and exposure to injured athletes.
Athletes seek orthopedic care when musculoskeletal conditions prevent or inhibit their sporting pursuits. Consultations are often sought for acute injuries related to their specific sport or for chronic issues related to training or overuse.
Most athletes share a common desire – to return to the sport they love, whether it is golf, tennis, football, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, running, dance, sailing, hiking, hockey, or baseball.
As a board certified orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Moriarty is uniquely qualified in the care of injured athletes. Dr. Moriarty’s additional qualifications in consideration of athletic injuries include the following:
- Former high school varsity football and lacrosse student athlete.
- Former Division I lacrosse player.
- Long-term youth football and lacrosse coach.
- Former Youth Football Commissioner.
- Parent of children engaged in football, lacrosse, hockey, field hockey, and figure skating.
- Parent of College Division III lacrosse captain.
- Parent of High School All-American and Division I lacrosse player.
- Long Island marathon participant.
- Life-long recreational athlete engaged in tennis, running, and weight training.
Dr. Moriarty is well rounded in the care of Athletes and will strive to get you ” back in the game”.
Accepting New Patients
631-423-BONE (2663) – Contact us today at our Huntington, NY location to discuss your treatment.